Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Last Oprah Show

Surprisingly, I can't wait to watch the last three Oprah shows. I say surprisingly because before April, I hadn't watched the show in months except for now and again if I was scanning channels and came across it. And so I'm a bit taken aback that I have this sense of nostalgia about the show and feel like I'm truly going to miss it. I think part of it is the loss of something familiar. I've always thought it would be on and now and again she'll bring someone interesting and I would watch; now there's no such option, unless I'm watching reruns.

I can't identify any talk show or other that will fill the void of Oprah. Like her or not, she really was a remarkable woman and one who knew when to call it quits. I like that she did it while she was on top. I like also that the media was never able to get one over her and that she followed the basic rule of PR - tell it all before they find out. That way there's nothing to scoop and interest will wane. I like it too that she wasn't afraid to show her weaknesses even with the roller-coaster ride of her weight.

For a woman to create something so simple and so overdone as a talk-show and take it to the level it has reached is truly remarkable. She will go down in history as an icon and someone to be remembered for a long, long time. Her largess and ability to 'force' others to be equally generous is unprecedented. She started a trend of giving that other talk shows tried to imitate but could not equal. Those who have been fortunate enough to be on her shows for one of the big give-aways must truly treasure the moment.

For the final show, I'm planning a one-woman Oprah party. I'll mix up a cocktail take a seat and enjoy. I will miss you, Oprah!

No comments:

Post a Comment