Thursday, September 30, 2010

African writers

I am home browsing my cable channels and stop at the African Channel where I'm watching, 'Behind the Words'. Nnedi Okarafor was being interviewed. She's an African science fiction writer and a Professor at Chicago University. I'm hooked. I've checked out her blog: Nnedi's Blog and plan to purchase her books. One of her favourite authors is Stephen King - that sealed the deal. Another writer I've discovered: Ngugi wa Thong'o, as referred by Nnedi. So I'm checking out his writing too.

I've always dabled in African writing but never came across any that I liked very much. But I am always fascinated with non-whites who write science fiction because it is unexpected: Nalo Hopkins, Octavia Butler -- though I haven't written any of her works -- and now Nnedi. I'm now on a discovery of African writers who write different things...and I'm going to dig up my own science fiction story set in Jamaica, far, far in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment