Sunday, March 27, 2011

The miracle of plants


My orchid is blooming. Remarkable! I have never had an orchid lose it's blooms, grow a new shoot and bloom again. It's a wonderful feeling. But, first I must say that my husband had a lot to do with this. I didn't realise he watered it until I saw the shoot coming up, then I got excited and started watching it like a hawk. Hopefully I don't love it to death. I don't think so, because now I'm careful with the water. I check on it every morning and every evening just to make sure. It feels good to grow something, or rather, have something grow in your presence.

As you can imagine by now, I'm no good with plants. Horrible as a matter of fact. Terrible even. Plants commit suicide rather than be tended by me - yes, it's that bad. I'm the woman who kills a cactus. Can you imagine that -- I kill a plant that requires no care!

I have a tender spot for orchids. They are beautiful, elegant flowers and I wish I could grow them for a living. But I don't think I have the patience to grow plants, soon I'll want them to water themselves and that won't happen. I'm easily distracted. I'll come home tired and forget about them and for weeks I don't see the back of the yard. Someone could move in and I would have no clue.

Today's the orchid show in Hope Pastures. I'll try and go if I finish cooking in time. It should be beautiful. At the orchid show I can dream of raising an orchid properly...one can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment