Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vampire Dawn - a little revealed.

I'm working on my novel, VAMPIRE DAWN which is about a black vampire living in Portland, Jamaica at the time of slavery. If you're into vampires you can imagine what this would be like and see the varying roads the story could take. Think about a black man who is an undead but who is physically stronger than all the white masters put together. That's something, huh? Except, it's dangerous too. Imagine him being discovered and them hunting him? And what would they do to others they suspect of having the same powers? Would they start a manhunt? Probably. In which case, it's important for Neloc to remain undetected.

In VAMPIRE DAWN, Neloc was turned by a white man whom he consider his father, but at the same time blames for taking his life. For Neloc, Portland is quite boring. He has nothing to do at night but roam the forests and chase animals. Then one night, while he lazed on a branch and watched the stars, he sees a slave girl who has come to the watering hole to bathe. Her name is Camilla. He watches her play in the water and is quite taken. She is brave for being out at night when she could be caught and severely punished. But he sees her need for freedom and is compelled to follow, just to be sure she returns safely to whatever estate she came from.

While watching Camilla sneak into the compound, Neloc makes a sound which frightens her. She stumbles. Halton, the guard wakes and goes to investigate. He enters Camilla's hut and sees her still wet from the swim. He decides to take what he feels is his. He attacks Camilla. Neloc comes to her rescue and kills Halton in the process, sucking him dry. Camilla sees this and faints. Neloc must leave or be found out. He chooses to leave and must hurry to Benin, because he is not prepared for the effects of drinking human blood after almost half a century without. As he fights his new found thirst, he wakes to find Alphanso gone. Suddenly his life is complicated as he is torn between ensuring Camilla's safety and finding Alphanso, his creator and father and the man without whom he cannot live in a white man's world.

Imagine the consequences of his actions. How will Camilla explain a dead, bloodless white guard in her hut? What will the white masters do with her when they discover Halton's body?

I'm in the middle of the novel and working my way to the end which I've already written. It's exciting and sometimes I can't wait to add a few more pages. Other times I don't want to be near it because I feel I cannot do the story justice. That's when I become really scared that I won't finish and that I'll never find a publisher.

I first wrote about Neloc in 2001. Yes, in 2001. Believe it or not. I wrote about 4 paragraphs and left it. But it never quite left me. Like all my stories, they remain near and pull my thoughts on a daily basis. I'm constantly thinking about it and wondering what should come next. I remember those paragraphs like I'd just written them. Halton wasn't a guard but Camilla's lover and it wasn't slavery time but some years on when black men were said to be free. Halton was a jerk who slept around with anyone who spread their legs for him. Camilla was thoroughly in love with him and while she knew of his indiscretions, she refused to challenge him on it, thinking that if she showed her love more, he would eventually be with her alone.

The paragraphs pick-up with Camilla walking behind Halton, begging him not to go out. He turns and smacks her on the cheek and tells her to go home and stop following him. Up on a branch in a nearby tree, a black man is watching the scene. he can read both their minds. He dislikes the man's character and his heart pains for the woman because she is so true and when Halton strikes he decides he must teach him a lesson and swoops down on the man, breaking his neck and sucking his blood. Camilla freaks out and runs off. She wakes the village with her noise and the village Madda comes to take control. She puts Camilla to bed and administer till Camilla is calm and is able to tell them about the black man that floated. No one but the Madda believes. Neloc returns home to his estate and is angry for revealing himself and for allowing the woman to go. He should have taken her with him and he vows to go find her. He had to. I didn't write another word until 2006 and then not again until last year.

In VAMPIRE DAWN, Halton is the guard who attempts to rape Camilla and is killed by Neloc who is indeed a vampire. The Madda is Selma who is a blind priestess who can do wonders with her potions and magical spirits. Neloc does live at Benin and he eventually will take Camilla to his home. I've gone 275 pages and I hope I can finish.

The novel was first named Neloc Benin after the lead character. A few weeks ago I changed it to VAMPIRE DAWN because these words are important in the story. I want the story to be a trilogy that tracks Neloc and Camilla's adventures as they travel the world. I don't know how it'll go as yet, but I do know one of two ways the entire thing will end. Either someone will die, or someone will leave. I already know to which way I'm leaning but you'll have to wait on the published novel to find out.

I will continue to blog about VAMPIRE DAWN, my writing and other things. You should come with me on this exciting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment