Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Reviewed

My friend is all over Easter. She's into the Easter bunny, the hunt, the eggs -- the whole thing. And she's most surprised that I never exposed my daughter to that furry little rabbit that is non-existent in Jamaica except for a stew, or a cage. Why on earth would I have spun some tale about a rabbit that brings eggs? I can't even remember if that's how it goes...or if he brings chocolates. Whatever!

I was raised Christian and I went to a catholic high school. Need I say more? There is no Easter bunny in the stations of the cross and there's no disillusion that this is a time of hunting eggs. The only hunting involved soul searching and forgiveness seeking. Reflection was a big part of Easter and so too repentance.

Many feel it is their duty to give up some sin or pleasure for Lent and that through this, their atonement secures them a place in heaven. I am of the firm view that if you believe in Lent, the Bible, Jesus, etc., then you should know that abstinence for a few weeks will not resolve the issue. There's no two ways about Christianity. You either believe or you don't. And once you do, there's that little book called the Bible. You can't follow one section and then ignore everything else that doesn't fit with your lifestyle. If there's sin to be repented and pleasures to be put aside, then this must be done for all your life, not just during Lent. No one said righteousness was easy. Ask the nuns.

More and more we see the true meaning of Easter give way to shameless commercialization that encourages Easter egg hunts and the purchase of copious amounts of spring-colored sweets. I think the bunny's creepy. In the first place, where does he put the eggs? After seeing the preview to Hop, that ridiculous movie that's clearly meant for 3-year olds, I'm afraid to touch the stuff unless it's from a certified factory like Cadbury's. And if that's my thinking, what's the purpose of the bunny? Not a thing. Stew anyone?

But despite all of this, Easter is a time for reflection, just like Christmas. These holidays forces me to think of my life, even for a moment. It's a time to analyze the good and the bad and to determine: Am I getting it right? What will happen to my soul when I'm departed? It's a question I'm far too scared to answer, just because I know.

I don't subscribe to the premise that everyone who has some good in them goes to heaven. That's too easy. But seriously, where do the 'in-betweens' go? The ones who are bad but not quite as bad as the man who just shot his girlfriend because she left him? If they did not follow the Word, would they end up in hell together? It almost seems unfair. And when she sees him there, what will she say? There must be different levels, don't you think? But I fear good reader that the answer may not be what we want?

I reflect on Thee, oh Lord and accept what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment