Sunday, April 10, 2011

Writing to the death!

I just watched an interview with famous author Dean Koontz who has sold over 4 million books worldwide. He was really being interviewed about his love for his dog but of course, some things about writing came out.

Koontz writes on a 19 year old computer that doesn't even have Email. I can understand this because the temptation to check an email is quite high especially is the email remains open like mine and arrivals are announced with a little tone. What I don't get though is him writing his emails for an assistant to type and send off. Huh? Oh well, if you're as rich as he is, then you can have an assistant do everything for you, even breath. His saving grace however is that he types at lightening speed. Two fingers flying over the clunky keyboard as if he was a tap dancer on a mission for a world record.

Koontz gave a tour of his library which he separated into books that he reads and his books. Both are large, but his books are closed off by an elaborate grill gate that opens to rows and rows of novels with his name on it including those translated into copious different languages -- more than I knew existed.

Koontz is 60 but he has been writing for years and he said he'll be writing until he drops dead at the keyboard -- it's what writers do. He also said that creativity is a muscle in the brain that must be worked and that the more one imagines, the easir it is to produce new stories...or something like that.

I agree as it seems that I'll be writing forever, whether I'm published or not. When I'm gray (well, more gray) and old, I'll sit in a comfortable chair and read my stories and imagine what could.

Here's to writing to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment