Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Colours are alive in Kingston, Jamaica





The flowers are all a bloom in Kingston, and I'm sure all across Jamaica. In the residential areas of the city there are many yellow Pouie trees that are now blooming. The dark woody branches shed all their leaves and send out these beautiful bright yellow buds that open and spread with magnificence. Then they fall and blanket the ground in glory. It is said that the blooming of the Pouie tree indicates that rain is coming. I don't know about that but what I do know is that these trees certainly illuminate the city. But like a rose, the blooms do wilt and rot and eventually become a dark colour that's quite unattractive.

I have two Pouie trees in my yard but they're not really blooming yet. When they do, they are great and people usually slow to look at them. Pouie trees also come in white and pink but these colours are not as 'eye-catching' as the yellow. I like the white but only if the trees are very large.

Sometimes you look up at the hills and see the trees blooming. That also is a pretty sight especially from a distance.

Bloom on Pouie tree, bloom on!

No comments:

Post a Comment