Monday, February 14, 2011

My writing life

I am at the point of total frustration and now truly believe that there is a certain amount of courage that's needed to write and publish. To do this successfully, you must know that your work is good and be willing and able to submit, submit, submit. I'm not sure I have any of that. I mean, I think my work is good. People say so, though I would feel better if I heard this from people I didn't know or people who were professionals. That I could get from a publisher which is next to impossible especially when you don't have much to publish my work in the Caribbean and I'm not quite sure which ones to approach. An email to a publisher is almost always met with promises or a rejection because you need an agent. And from browsing on the net, agents seemed to be so filled that they're not taking new writers and in fact, several sites I've seen imply that you must have something published first. Huh? That's what I'm trying to do!

Anyway, as I write this rant, I'm trying to work out how to get my feet in the door without actually being in the United States knocking on them all. It's very tricky and now I understand why Jamaicans who want to succeed feel they must leave in order to do so. It seems if you're not in the thick of things, then things can get pretty thin.

So what am I going to do about it? Submit, submit, submit. I have stories and I think I have a voice. I know that if I get an agent I will get published because my stories are good. I just need to get my foot or even my big toe in the door to make it work. And so I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment